My daugther had her piano practical exam a day before Hari Raya at one of the hotel in Kajang. For those from Kajang, I wonder whether you have heard of this restaurant by the name Champion? It is a Hainanese restaurant and served all kinds of Hainanese foods . i.e: chicken chop, chicken rice, fish & chips, toast bread with kaya and butter, coffee…. etc and its HALAL. The restaurant used to be located at Kajang town center but at one point of time, it is no longer at the shop lot where it used to be. I told hub, the owner must be retired and close down the business.
After so many years, on that day after my girl had her piano practical exam, we walked out from Oriental Crystal Hotel in Kajang and I saw this restaurant by the name Champion. I am kind of curious whether is that restaurant I meant and me and my kids walked over the street and looked at the menu placed outside the restaurant. It served all kinds of Hainanese foods and it must be shifted to this new place.
We had an early lunch with the kids and I ordered a plate of Hainanese Chicken Chop, one plate of Fish and Chips and a set of toast bread with kaya and butter. The chicken chop is tasty. Crunchy on the outside and juicy on the inside. Topped with the tangy sweet and sour sauce compliments with , onion, green beans, fresh tomatoes and potatoes wedges. My kids love it so much and asked me to cook this at home and here is my version of Hainanese Chicken Chop.
4 chicken thigh, deboned
4 potatoes, cut into wedges
1 tomatoes, cut into slices
2 big onion, cut into slices
1 small can of green peas
A bit of cornflour for coating
Ingredients for Marinating :
1 tsp soya sauce
1 tsp sesame oil
A dash of pepper
1 tsp cornflour
Ingredients for Sauce :
6 tbsp tomato ketchup
2 tbsp oyster sauce
1 tbsp HP sauce
1 tsp LP Worcestershire sauce
1 cup water
2 tbsp sugar
Some cornstarch for thickening
1. Marinate the chicken thighs with marinating ingredients, preferably overnight.
2. Coat the marinated chicken thighs with cornflour and deep fried till golden brown. Dish up and set aside.
3. Deep fried the potato wedges till soft and golden brown. Dish up and set aside.
3. In a pan, heat a tablespoon of oil. Sautee the garlic and onion till fragrant. Add all the ingredients for sauce except the cornstarch.
4. Let it simmer for about 10 mins or till the onion is soft. Then add in green peas and thicken the sauce with cornstarch solution.
5. To serve, arrange the deep fried chicken thigh, potato wedges and sliced tomatoes on a plate.
6. Pour the sauce over and serve while it is still hot.