Time flies and this will be last post of the year 2012. I am not in the mood to work now and another 3 hours to off work. We will be having a mini BBQ at home with a few close cousins, my sis and family plus my parents. Glance through the calendar, what have I done in year 2012? Nothing much actually and its scary to see that year 2013 is approaching. I am getting another year older and my kids is growing up another year older. Then literally we have another 5 weekends to Chinese New Year. Will be another month to look forward to. That is about life. Every month got something to look forward to or should I say every quarter in year 2013 we have a holiday to look forward to. Arggghhh … can’t wait for all the holidays that I’ve planned for the kids and hubby. So year 2013 is something like this…. February’13 ( CNY ), March’13 ( Langkawi for a cousin’s wedding ), May’13 ( Bali, Indonesia ), August’13 ( Bandung, Indonesia ) & December’13 ( Sapa, Vietnam ).
The cheese tartlets I did on Christmas day was a big hit. My cousins complaint why I did so little? Some of them didn’t managed to eat one. So today I am baking it again for tonight’s BBQ party. My kids love the cheese tartlets and it is so easy to do. The only tedious part is making the shells or otherwise you can buy those ready pastry shells from the baking supply shops. The price is not that cheap thought, cost about RM0.45 – RM0.60 per shell depending on the size. I am going to make this again during Chinese New Year open house but must do the pastry shells first whenever I have the time at home.
Ingredients for the pastry shells :
125gm cold butter, cut into pieces
2 tbsp sugar
1 egg yolk
40gm cold water
1. Mix sifted flour with sugar. Then add in the cold butter and using the rub in method mix the butter with the flour till crumbly.
2. Add in egg yolk and cold water.
3. Mix till a dough is formed.
4. Wrap the dough with a cling firm and let it refrigerate for about 30 minutes.
5. Press the dough into a tart mould. Prick some hole on the pastry shell surface and bake the pastry shell for about 15 – 20 minutes. Leave it to cool.
Ingredients for cream cheese filling :
250gm cream cheese
1 tbsp icing sugar
1 tsp vanilla essence
Some blueberry filling
1. In a mixing add in cream cheese, icing sugar, egg and vanilla essence. Cream the cream cheese till well blended.
2. Put in some blueberry filling into the pastry shell. Top it up with cream cheese filling. Draw some pattern on top of the cream cheese filling.
3. Bake at 170 DC for about 10 minutes.
My elder girl at home, always like to come and kacau me. I teach her how to draw the X’Mas tree, and the X’Mas wreath and she did a good drawing for me on the surface of the cheese tarts.
Till then, let’s bid farewell to Year 2012 and Welcome Year 2013. Hoping for another better year ahead !